Use colour to bring out a range of fun feelings!
A question we hear is, “Why is custom framing expensive?” The quick and easy answer is that it is ‘custom’ – it is being handmade specifically for your design and your needs. More importantly, it is because of the impeccable quality of workmanship we put into every project. Details matter in custom framing. Here are a few that deserve a closer look and how they can impact quality.
Red & Orange
Reds & Oranges are energetic colours. They are used to stimulate the body and mind, promote power, and increase appetite. That’s why many dining rooms and gyms have one or more red or orange walls.
Painting by André Derain,
It is believed that Yellow stimulates the nerves and purifies the body, lifting your spirits and reducing stress. Is it any wonder many kitchens are painted yellow?
Painting by Claude Monet,
Water Lilies, 1919
Blues and Greens
Blues & Greens are restful, stable colours with a stress management quality. They create a soothing feeling, encouraging calmness. Does it make you think of spas or medical offices?
Painting by Georgia O’Keefe,
Blue & Green Music, 1921
In this image there is an energetic orange flower. Adding its complementary colour blue brings out the best in each
How do you want your space to feel? Playful? Energetic? Bold?
It’s fun to watch the yellow & orange flowers sway in the breeze, but the blue background makes this image so relaxing.
The red inner frame emphasizes the passion of this fun Las Vegas print.
White Mat or Black Mat?
- White is the great neutralizer. Sometimes there can be so many colours and so much action in the art, that it is hard to choose one colour – this is where white works well.
- Black creates negative space – so all you see is the art or image.
- White is a contemporary / fresh, clean / uncluttered look.
- Black is a sophisticated and elegant look.
- White works well when you want to group a look (multiple pieces framed the same).
Sometimes it’s fun to use a colorful moulding –
here are some examples and we have lots more!
- Warm-coloured (yellows, oranges) placebo pills are more effective than cool-coloured (blues, greens) placebo pills.
- Blue-coloured streetlights can lead to reduced crime.
- Red causes people to react with greater speed and force, something that might prove useful during athletic activities.
- Black sports uniforms are more likely to receive penalties.
- Paint your office Blue & Green: In 1999, researchers at Creighton University found that employees in blue offices felt the most centered, calm and hopeful towards their work. Since blue can lower heart rates and green can reduce anxiety and is associated with money, a combination of blue and green is best for the office.
Free Newsletter Offer:
Want to receive our blog content as soon as we release it? Fill in this Form for to receive it in our free monthly newsletter!